As often happens when Kathy Sierra posts a new blog entry, I find myself compelled to get something in writing. Her writing really does provoke passion and interest … what a great job she does!
Last week, I read her blog (late) about women’s t-shirts at conferences (ahem, lack thereof). Since I’m in the midst of helping to organize the CodeMash conference, I’m really pushing women’s tees. If we pull it off, I’ll definitely send Kathy one (and anyone else who wants one). Our logo is cool (check it out). Anyhow, women’s tees cost an extra $3/shirt but heck, so do the XXL’s and we’re buying THOSE, so why not!
Anyhow, back to this week’s Creating Passionate Users blog entry, where Kathy turned the “5 Things You Don’t Know About Me” question around a bit, and asked it of her readers. Certainly, it’s great to know who’s reading, but I think that she’s built up a community around her blog posts and REALLY just wants to know who’s in it.
So here are her questions, with my answers.
0) What's your name and website URL? (optional, of course)
Dianne Marsh, www.srtsolutions.com
1) What's the most fun work you've ever done, and why? (two sentences max)
I worked for a small startup (5’ish people) from 1992-1996, doing human genome software (specifically sequence analysis). This was the most fun application area I’ve been in, to date: interesting, challenging, personally rewarding.
2) A. Name one thing you did in the past that you no longer do but wish you did? (one sentence max)
Triathlons: I can’t say I ENJOYED them but it was good to be training.
B. Name one thing you've always wanted to do but keep putting it off? (one sentence max)
Learn to play the piano.
3) A. What two things would you most like to learn or be better at, and why? (two sentences max)
Patience and relaxation. Life seems to get away from me, and stress seems to take over.
B. If you could take a class/workshop/apprentice from anyone in the world living or dead, who would it be and what would you hope to learn? (two more sentences, max)
My three year old daughter, as an adult. I would love to be able to understand the impact of my parenting on her, and learn from that experience (even though I couldn’t apply it!).
4) A. What three words might your best friends or family use to describe you?
Bossy, opinionated, dedicated
B. Now list two more words you wish described you…
5) What are your top three passions? (can be current or past, work, hobbies, or causes– three sentences max)
My children, the environment, and community (both web and IRL)
6) (sue me) Write–and answer–one more question that YOU would ask someone (with answer in three sentences max)
Q: Have you chosen the right profession?
A: Yes; I enjoy what I’m doing and there’s plenty of opportunity for me to keep learning about things in my profession throughout my career. If this weren’t true, I would change professions. Life’s too short.
[Bonus: What is one question you wish people would ask themselves?]
Q: WHY do you think you need to eat trans-fats?